Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Summer Cooking

Boy, is it ever hot this summer!  Of course, every summer in Georgia is hot.  It wouldn't be summer without numerous days in the upper 90's / low 100's and huge power bills to show for it.  You just can't stand to heat up the kitchen when it gets this hot!  So, what's the solution?  I mean, besides eating out.  You could use the microwave, cook in the mornings when it's cooler, or make recipes that don't require cooking.  Some recipes need to be made in advance for the flavors to blend.  One of the recipes I'm sharing with you today is from my friend Debbie.  She shared this with me a few years ago after I made a pig of myself eating it at a grade level gathering.  This recipe is SO yummy!  Thank you Debbie for giving me this recipe.  I know all of you will enjoy it too!  I'm also including a few other recipes you will like.



Fruit Salad



1 can pineapple tidbits - drain & save juice
1 large can of mandarin oranges - drain & save juice
2 medium Granny Smith apples - peeled and cubed                      
2 Tb. lemon juice
2 Tb. cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar


Other fruits you can add:
sliced strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, grapes, bananas



Combine pineapple, oranges, and apples in a bowl (or any other fruit you want to add, except bananas and strawberries).  You can use any kind of apple you like.  I prefer Granny Smith for this recipe.

 In a small pot mix pineapple, orange, and lemon juice. Add sugar and cornstarch. Stir and heat until the mixture thickens. Set it aside to cool.  You can put it in the refrigerator to speed up the process.  Once it cools, pour it over the fruit and chill. 

If you choose to add bananas or strawberries, wait to add until it's time to serve.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment