Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Dough Does Not Like Me

When it comes to making biscuits, I missed the boat.  My grandmother could make biscuits, my mom can make biscuits, and my son can make some of the best homemade biscuits you've ever tasted.  Mine come out like hockey pucks.  If I made them smaller and added color, you could use them as checkers.  Somehow, the biscuit making gene skipped me.  I guess it's for the best.  If I could make biscuits, I would eat them often and would end up looking like a biscuit.  That would not be pretty.  My son can also make the best pizza dough from scratch.  He tried to teach me once.  Mine came out sticky while his was beautiful.  I guess the pizza dough gene skipped me too.  Thank goodness for frozen and canned biscuits and pizza dough.  This brings me to my next recipe.  A few weeks ago I was craving a veggie pizza and didn't want to drive to Decatur to eat at a place that makes a wonderful veggie pizza.  So I created my own with the advice from friends of mine who are vegetarians.  I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did.


Veggie Pizza

1 can of refrigerated pizza dough
1/2 jar pizza sauce
2 cups of finely shredded Mozzarella cheese
Veggies of your choice.  I used:
black olives
tomatoes
brocolli
zucchini
peppers (any color)
onions
mushrooms

Spray your pizza pan or 9x13 pan with cooking spray OR line your pan with non-stick tin foil  (This makes clean up easier).  Press your dough into the pan and top with the pizza sauce.  Sprinkle half of the cheese on top of the sauce.  Here is the most important step.  If you use olives, drain them and then lay them on a paper towel to absorb the extra moisture.  Thinly slice your tomatoes and lay them on a paper towel to absorb the moisture.  Slice your mushrooms very thinly because they release moisture as they cook and they will make your dough soggy.  Any veggie you use should be sliced thinly and laid on a paper towel to absorb any moisture.  I cut the broccoli tops into tiny broccoli tops.  Spread your veggies on top of the cheese and top with remaining cheese.  Bake at 450 degrees for 15 - 20 min. until the crust is golden.

This pizza was SO GOOD!  Even if I do say so myself.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment