Pages

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Mini Cook-A-Thon

I  got up this morning and started thinking about eating breakfast before school.  I like something I can fix that is quick and doesn't take too much thought since I have to get up at 5:40 to start getting ready.  I found this recipe for breakfast burritos on another person's blog.  http://moneysavingmom.com/2011/05/freezer-friendly-breakfast-burritos.html   I cut it in half because I really didn't want to make 20 burritos.  If you have kids, 20 burritos probably won't last that long and it would be beneficial to you not to cut the recipe in half.   Then I decided to make a couple of spinach quiches and put them in the freezer.  While I was at it, I decided to make a Three Cheese Penne Pasta dish.  I didn't have any penne pasta, but I did have the tri-color bow-tie pasta.  It works!  I ended up with 22 breakfasts and 2 more dinners for the freezer.

 

One other thing I thought of while I was cooking was to tell you about a little  something I stumbled upon.  I was at Publix one day and they had cut up a pork roast that was on sale for $2.99 a pound.   They had cut it up into cube steaks, boneless pork chops, a pork roast, and another cut of meat.  Another day they had done the same thing with a beef roast.  It was cut into stew meat, cube steaks, steaks, and a beef roast.  I learned they will do this for you any time!  I ended up with 9 meals (not including leftovers) from each of these roasts.  Kroger is going to put pork loins on sale next week for $1.98 a pound.  They will cut their pork loins into boneless pork chops at no additional costs.  This is just another way to save money at the grocery store.

 

Below are the recipes I made today.  Happy cooking!

 

Breakfast Burrito

1 Tb. butter
2 Tb. chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green, yellow, orange, or red pepper
9 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped ham
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cups shredded cheddar cheese
10 flour or wheat tortillas


Saute onions and green pepper in butter. Beat eggs and milk together and pour into the skillet with the onions and peppers.
Add the ham, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until eggs are set. Mix in cheese and let melt.
Scoop 1/3 cup egg mixture onto tortillas. Fold ends under and roll up. Freeze (see instructions below) or put all burritos in a baking dish, top with extra cheese (if you’d like) and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until heated through. Serve with salsa.

Freezer Instructions:
Wrap burrito in a paper towel and then in a sheet of foil. Seal tightly and place in freezer bags. When bag is full, remove all air and seal. Freeze.

To serve: Remove foil and put paper-towel-wrapped burrito in microwave. Reheat for around one minute. Serve with salsa, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment