Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2011

What A Week!

What a week it has been!  This was my first week back to work before the new school year begins.  It included getting to see co-workers again and catching up, meetings, writing and preparing lesson plans, reviewing files, laminating miles of new material I made over the summer, cutting miles of laminating, writing student names on a million things, sorting supplies, and meeting my new students.  The list goes on and on.  Meeting my new students is the best part.  You learn so much during that first meeting.  Looks like I have some real sweeties this year!

The typical work day during pre-planning week ends up being about 10 hours long.  I was so grateful that I had dinner in the freezer for this week.  Otherwise, my family would have starved.  By Friday night, my husband loving told me how exhausted and bad I looked when I got home at 8:00 p.m.  No kidding!  I started my day at 7:00 a.m.  I did have one little glitch this week.  Normally I take dinner out of the freezer the night before.  This time I forgot and took dinner out of the freezer before I left for work and put it in the refrigerator.  It was still frozen when I came home.  Thank goodness it happened before I had hit my zombie stage later in the week.  Luckily, I had found another easy recipe I wanted to try.  I went to the store and picked up a couple of things I needed and whipped it up.  It's really easy so you have to try it.  And you cook them on the grill so the kitchen doesn't heat up!

Chicken Burritos

1 can (15 oz.) pinto beans, drained
1 cup  frozen corn, drained
3/4 cup salsa
1/2 cup  chopped red or yellow peppers
3 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup  chopped fresh cilantro
2 cups shredded Mexican Cheese
8   flour or wheat tortillas at room temperature
2 cups cooked chicken strips

Preheat grill to medium heat.
Spray 8 large heavy-duty foil sheets with cooking spray; set aside. Combine first 6 ingredients.
Place 1/4 cup cheese on bottom half of 1 tortilla; top with 1/3 to 1/2 cup bean mixture and 1/4 cup chicken, leaving 1-inch border around bottom and side of tortilla half. Fold bottom edge of tortilla over filling, then fold in opposite sides of tortilla and roll up. Place, seam-side down, near bottom edge of 1 prepared foil sheet; roll up to enclose burrito. Fold both ends of foil to seal. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
Place the burritos on the grill and close the lid.  Cook for 9 min. turning every 3 minutes.

You can add sour cream, olives, or more salsa after the are cooked.


No comments:

Post a Comment