Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

Butter Beans

I had someone request how to make good butter beans.  It's really not hard; you just need a little time.  I use  dried beans when I make them.

Butter Beans

1  16 oz. bag of dried beans
Enough water to keep beans covered
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 Tb. butter
1/2 package ham seasoning

I pour the bag of beans into a large pot and cover it with water about 2 inches above the "bean line."  Bring the beans to a boil and put in about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. of baking soda.  The water will fizz for a minute, but the baking soda softens the beans.  Then add salt to taste, 1 Tb. of butter, and 1/2 package of ham seasoning.  Turn the stove off, cover the beans for about 2 hours and let them sit.  Check on the beans after an hour to see if you need to add more water because the beans will swell.  Cook for about another hour and they should be done.

Let me know if you have anything in particular you need to know how to cook.  I'll do my best to help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment