Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

That's Just Peachy!

The microwave has become an appliance I cannot live without.  When I was growing up, we didn't have a microwave.  I was well into my teenage years before we had the giant, magical box in our kitchen.  It was amazing and we quickly learned we could not do without one.  It saved a person from having to wash pots and pans to melt butter, saute onions, or reheat leftovers.  Later I got married and guess what.  We didn't have a microwave.  Two months later was Christmas and my wonderful husband surprised me with a microwave!!  Yeah Hubby!  About a month ago we came home from vacation and discovered the microwave was broken.  It would turn on.  It just wouldn't heat anything.  At first, I had a moment of panic.  Then I remembered I had a little, old (and I mean old) microwave that I used to have in my classroom. Unfortunately, the county I work in made us remove lamps, microwaves, and refrigerators from out classrooms in order to decrease the budget for utilities. Even though I miss it in my classroom, having it at home was a lifesaver!


Hubby and I went shopping at a local home store and found a new microwave.  I was excited and ready to take it home.  The salesperson came out and said it was out of stock in the color I needed, but they could order it.  However, it would take a week for it to come in.  O.K.  I could deal with that ... only because I had a sad excuse for a back up at home.  The microwave came in as promised.  The company that was supposed to install it was not very cooperative when it came to working with our schedule and a need to have it delivered during the A.M. hours.  Long story short, we picked up the microwave and had to find someone to install it.  Hubby would normally be able to do it, but he had recently had elbow surgery and couldn't lift.  Luckily for us, we knew someone who could do it.  My son's Sunday School teacher came over and installed it for us after he got off work one night.  He has no idea how helpful this was for us.  He just kept saying it was no big deal.  For us, or rather ME, it was a VERY big deal!  Then he wouldn't let us pay him!!  So I start thinking, "What can I do for him?"  This good deed was NOT going to go unrewarded!  As we talked, I found out he really liked peaches and I knew instantly what I was going to do.  There was going to be a peach cobbler in his future!  I delivered the cobbler to him and his family Sunday afternoon.  I have posted the recipe for the rest of you to enjoy.  Thanks Jeff for helping us out.  You are awesome!


Peach Cobbler

1 stick of butter, melted
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of milk
1 cup of self-rising flour
1 ½  tsp. cinnamon
1  29 oz. of canned sliced peaches.

Mix first 5 ingredients together in a 9x13 baking dish.   
Add peaches with juice.  I like to cut the peach slices in half. 
Mix well and sprinkle a little more cinnamon on top.  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.  Crust forms by itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment