Pages

Monday, September 5, 2011

Happy Labor Day!

I had planned to grill out since it was Labor Day.  God had other plans.  He sent rain.  We just had a drizzly rain all day, but the towns around us had LOTS of rain and storms.  This made it a good day to stay indoors and get things done.  So I fixed country fried steak and gravy instead of ribs.  That's O.K.  The ribs will keep until another day.  I am posting the recipe for the country fried steak and my grandmother's white gravy.  I also made mashed potatoes from scratch.  If you need to know how to do that, let me know and I'll post it too.



Country Fried Steak and Gravy

3 – 4 pieces of cubed steak
2 cups of plain flour
salt and pepper to taste
water

Put flour, salt, and pepper in a plastic bag and mix.  Wet the cube steak with water and place in plastic bag with the flour mixture.  Close bag and shake to coat meat.  Lay the meat in a preheat pan with a little oil in the bottom.  Brown on each side.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer until golden brown.


White Gravy

3 Tb. oil
2 Tb. plain flour
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup of milk

Put oil, flour, salt, and pepper in a small pot and let brown.  Add milk.  Stir frequently until thickened.  If the gravy becomes too thick, add a little water and stir.

No comments:

Post a Comment