Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Ugh. What to Fix For Dinner


I hate trying to figure out what to fix for dinner when I come home from work.  I didn't make out a menu for this week and now I'm paying for it.  Hubby was out of town last week so dinner was whatever I had on hand.  I went out with friends for Mexican one night and I had enough leftover to have dinner again the next night.  I enjoyed the break from cooking, but Hubby is home now so the cooking must resume.  I looked through some recipes I hadn't tried and found this one.  I cut the recipe in half in case we didn't like it.  I wish I hadn't now so I could have put the other half in the freezer.  Oh well, live and learn. 

Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole

3/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
1 can chicken broth
1 Tb. Dijon mustard
¼ tsp black pepper
1 ½ cup instant rice, uncooked
2 cups cooked cubed chicken
½ cup diced ham
1  6 oz. package shredded Swiss cheese
1 cup frozen peas and carrots
½ cup plain bread crumbs
2 Tb. butter, melted
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Whisk together sour cream or plain yogurt, chicken broth, mustard, and pepper in a large bowl until well blended.  Add rice, chicken, ham, Swiss cheese, and peas and carrots.  Mix with a spoon.  Pour into a 9x13 pan or 2 smaller pans for freezing.  Mix bread crumbs, butter, and Parmesan cheese.  Spread evenly over the top of the casserole.  Bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.

Tip:   If you don't care for sour cream, you can substitute plain yogurt.


No comments:

Post a Comment