Pages

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Asparagus and Mushrooms

In my last post, I told you about all the food I bought at a local Farmer's Market.  I started cooking last night and will finish up today.  Getting all the veggies cooked help me when I come home tired and I also don't have to think too much about what to prepare.  I make a wide variety of foods on the weekends.  In my refrigerator today I will have sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, salad mix, asparagus, mushrooms, green beans, and cabbage.  When I come home from work, all I have to fix is the meat!  If I cook the meat on the grill or in the oven, there is less clean up!  As you know, I'm all about easy!

I have also been on a diet since mid May, so I have changed the way I prepare some foods.  Sadly, I have not been able to eat sweets, but I'm hoping I'll be able to have a treat now and then soon.  Instead of using margarine in the tub or stick, I now use spray butter.  I add a little salt (if any) to my food AFTER it is cooked.  Instead of using salad dressing on my salads at lunch, I use spritzers.  I can have 2 tablespoons of low fat dressing on a salad at night.  The only oil I use is olive oil and I use it sparingly.  There have been lots of little changes to my food lifestyle that have made a big difference.

Here are 2 recipes I now fix the lighter way.

Asparagus

Fresh asparagus  (cut the hard part of the stem off)
Spray butter

Lay the asparagus on a foil lined pan.  Spray butter on the asparagus.  Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.  Add seasonings after you remove it from the oven.



Mushrooms

Mushrooms
Garlic powder
Spray butter

Wash the mushrooms and cut the bottom of the stems off.  Slice or quarter the mushrooms.  Place them in a bowl and sprinkle garlic powder on mushrooms.  Spray several squirts of butter on the mushrooms.  Place in the microwave and cover with wax paper.  Cook for 4 minutes.  Stir and cover.  Cook for 4 more minutes.  Stir and cover.  Cook for 3 more minutes.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment