Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Okra ... mmmmmmmmmmm


Okra is one of my favorite foods.  Hmmm ... I seem to say that about a lot of foods.  Anyway, I like it fried and boiled.  My husband and son gag at boiled okra, but that's o.k.  It leaves more for me and my daughter!  I was looking around for an oven fried okra recipe and I found one!  I had to change it a little because I didn't have any corn meal.  It tasted great, but it lacked the crunch from when you fry it in oil.  However, when you consider the difference in calories and fat, it's worth it.  I hope you like it too!


Oven Fried Okra

canola oil cooking spray
1 16 ounce bag frozen sliced okra, thawed
1 half-teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 pkg. cornbread mix

Preheat oven to 475 F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray the foil generously with cooking spray or use non-stick foil.  Spray the inside of a gallon-sized food storage bag with cooking spray. Add the okra, a half-teaspoon of salt, and the pepper. Close the bag and shake to blend everything well. Let the okra rest for ten minutes to extract juice from the okra. Add the cornbread mix to the bag and shake to evenly coat the okra. Let the bag sit for ten minutes; then, shake it up again.  Use a colander to pour the okra into.  Remove the okra in batches and shake off excess cornmeal.  Place the coated okra on the sheet pan and continue the process until all the okra is on the pan and the pieces are not touching each other. Spray the okra well with cooking spray. Throw the leftover meal away.  Bake for 20 minutes.  Remove the pan from the oven and stir the okra, trying to turn over as many pieces as possible. Lightly spray the okra again. Return it to the oven for another 20 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment