Pages

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Braised Chicken and Mushrooms

I've had a little extra time this summer with school being out.  I have been able to kick back and relax, explore new interests (essential oils), enjoy time with my grandbabies, and start to clean things out of my house.  The hubby and I have a plan to downsize in the next few years.  We have a lot of things to get rid of to do this, but I must admit, it feels good to get rid of things we haven't used in a long time.  Goodwill is probably wondering where to put everything now, but that's their problem!  Since I have some free time right now, I was on Pinterest the other day and saw a recipe that looked interesting.  Of course, I had to make a few changes to it!  It's like they say on American Idol, "You have to make it your own!" and that I did.  The mushrooms came out with the best flavor I have ever tasted in a mushroom.  The meal was so good, I can't wait to have the leftovers tomorrow night.  This recipe takes a little more time to make, but hey, it's summer!



Braised Chicken And Mushrooms

  • 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken (breasts or thighs)
  • 1 pound fresh whole mushrooms
  • 2 ¼  cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tsp. minced garlic from a jar
  • 1 yellow onion, sliced into thin strips
  • 1 bay leaf, crumbled
  • 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose Gluten Free flour
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Remove fat from chicken.  Lightly salt and pepper chicken.  Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat and brown chicken. Place the chicken on a separate plate and set aside.  You may have to cook the chicken in 2 batches.  Sauté mushrooms, garlic, and onions until tender (about 10 minutes).  Remove veggies from pot.  Sprinkle flour into the pot with the juices that are left and cook for 1-2 minutes.  The flour will start to clump up.  Pour in the vinegars and chicken broth and whisk continuously until it’s smooth for about 3 minutes.  Add in crushed bay leaf.  Return chicken and veggies to the pot and bring the mixture to a boil.  Reduce heat to low, cover your pot, and let simmer for 20-25 minutes until the chicken is cooked completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment